From the left, Karl Rhodes, Terry Kiser, and Greg Shull remove the capstones.

Kiser’s sons advise caution as he fastens a strap around yet another big rock.

Kiser pries a square rock from its round hole.

Rhodes takes a turn with the sledge. This rock came out piece by piece.

"A cleft between a ledge of rocks" marked the cave entrance in a 1901 newspaper article.

The excavators removed a wedge from the formation to gain better access.

Rhodes comes up for air and water on a 98-degree day.

More digging reveals a tiny crevice beneath the rock formation. Stay tuned for updates...

Peggy’s house was about 50 yards to the right of where this photo was taken.

Peggy’s barn still stands on its original foundation in the shadow of Mole Hill.